www.classicamiga.com

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Classicamiga board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

We have moved

The Classicamiga.com Forums have now moved to a new home. This old forum is now locked and is kept for historical purposes only. No existing members can post and no new members can join

The New Forum

The new classicamiga forum has replaced this old forum and can be found at http://forum.classicamiga.com . We hope to see you there.

The main site

Don't forget to also visit the main classicamiga.com site for lots of Amiga news and information about Demos and Games. Register on the main site to gain access to lots of extras including the ability to write reviews and comments for the site's Game and Demo sections.

Hope you enjoy looking around this old forum, and we hope to see you on the new classicamiga site and forum.

Not Hitting The High Notes On Lemmings
Alex_J
Posted: Dec 11 2006, 02:58 PM

Harmless

Group: Members
Member No.: 563

I've been playing Lemmings on WinUAE, and it's all running fine except for one niggle with the music. The 2nd and 10th songs have high-pitched synthy tracks missing. I was just wondering if there's a way to tweak with the settings in order to hear the full instrumentation, because I love those songs in particular (the others too...).
alexj2002
Posted: Dec 11 2006, 03:03 PM

ELITE

Group: VIP
Member No.: 92

Another Alex J! Welcome to the Classic Amiga forums.

Have you checked that WinUAE Sound Emulation settings are set to "Enabled, 100% Accurate"?

This post has been edited by alexj2002 on Dec 11 2006, 03:03 PM
harrison
Posted: Dec 11 2006, 03:11 PM

Amiga Guru

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

That is a strange one. I've not heard of only parts of a song being missing via emulation. It is worth, as Alex point out, to double check your WinUAE audio settings. You may also want to try and experiment with different chipset settings. ECS chipset, or just ECS Agnus sometimes has a big effect when problems happen with the emulation.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Two Alex J's! What's the odds of that. smile.gif

BTW, this forum is moving this month. As outlined in the red box at the top of these forums we have had lots of data losr problems with the board over the past month. This has been the fault of the host and we have had no control over these problems. For this reason we are moving to a better self managed forum that will be launching this week. Please register yourself on the main site (if youhavne't done so already) http://www.classicamiga.com and when the new forum is launched you're main site account should automatically be linked into the new forum. Hope you like the forum and we hope to see you on the new forum.
JT
Posted: Dec 11 2006, 05:10 PM

Osu!

Group: ClassicAmiga Staff Moderator
Member No.: 20

Hmm, or possibly check for another ADF of the game. Maybe the one you have has been cracked or compressed in such a way that unfortunately a few bits of data are missing (unlikely I know, but it costs nothing to try another ADF).

Alex_J
Posted: Dec 12 2006, 12:46 AM

Harmless

Thanks for the welcome. I downloaded another ADF, and with this one the high notes are played but the timbre's wrong. Instead of a nice synth sound I get a rough scratchy sound. Any ideas about this?
harrison
Posted: Dec 12 2006, 01:44 AM

Amiga Guru

How fast is your PC? Sound is the most noticeabe thing if the emulation is starting to struggle to emulate a game at 100% the speed of the original.

You can try adjusting some of the sound settings to see if it helps in any way. Changing the frequency from 44100 to a lower settings will instantly reduce the audio processing load. Don't forget Amiga audio is 8bit, so reducing this to 22K shouldn't make any noticable difference. Reducing the screen resolution you are running the emulator in may also help. If you are running in a window try switching to full screen mode as that will reduce the overheads a lot.

Also under the chipset section make sure Sound emulation is Emulated, 100% accurate.
Alex_J
Posted: Dec 13 2006, 11:13 AM

Harmless

My PC's 1.3ghz. I've tried adjusting the frequency and the chipset. Still, not the end of the world by any means.
harrison
Posted: Dec 13 2006, 11:25 AM

Amiga Guru

Although fast enough to run most Amiga emulation, a 1.3GHz PC will have trouble with some Amiga emulation and it is normally the sound that is the first thing you will notice.

You can normally overcome this most of the time by setting WinUAE to run in full screen mode at a lower resolution and shutting down most other programs running in the background at the same time. Virus checkers can also impact on the speed of emulation as they will be checking the ADF disk accesses during the emulation.

The audio is the first noticeable thing when performance is affected becaus unlike graphics where a drop of a couple of frames per second can go unnoticed, if you lose part of the audio per second so that emulation can keep up it will instantly be heard.

But like you say, it isn't the end of the world and the game still runs fine and is playable.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0359 seconds · Archive